On Sunday afternoon, I finally decided to get down and dirty with my old 1950’s Kelvinator fridge. I started by stripping off the door seals, taking out the screws that hold the door insulation in place and taking off the door and thermostat cover at the bottom of the fridge.
The seal was rotten at the bottom where water had obviously pooled. The insulation in the bottom of the door was also moldy and the screws along that section were rusted away. The rest of the seal had become brittle and crumbled in my hands as I removed it.
I got the old electric sander out and sanded the thermostat cover, the small door from the bottom of the fridge. It doesn’t show up that well on the photos, but the bottom door is now white again. Unlike the rest of the fridge which is a dirty ivory colour still.
Below are some of the first photos of this project.